Some people think that the best way to reduce crime is to give longer prison sentences. Others, however, believe there are better alternative ways of reducing crime. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Long prison sentence has always been the predominant solution to many countries to alleviate heinous crime occurring in the society. But, however, I do not give my consent on this idea as there are other multifarious effective ways to reduce crime commitment.

To begin with, long prison sentence ruins the perpetrator's life because of isolation from the society and other responsibilities. It is likely that the perpetrator becomes more violent and barbaric after serving his sentence as society tend to avoid such an individual. This is solely because he/she was forced to terminate the careers in life such as education, job and other responsibilities. Further, such culprits are often ignored and barred to come into the original society thereby loosing social relationship and eventually becomes easy prey of psychological illness as well.

Nevertheless, community service as a form of alternative punishment has often and increasingly asserted from many countries around the globe to reshape the perpetrator's life. For example, recently Olympic champion Oscar Pristorious has also given long term community service as a punishment for his heinous crime. In doing so, perpetrator would get a chance to pull his socks up by considering social and ethical responsibilities within society. Another positive aspects of such punishment is that everybody could watch how the perpetrator is performing. Consequently, terms of punishment could be reduce if he/she is dramatically improving a lot and contributed much to the community thus this would encourage the perpetrator not to indulge again on unsavory and unsocial behaviors.

To recapitulate, prison is seldom an option to discourage the perpetrator against committing crime which otherwise brings many ill-fated behaviors after full filling term sentence. But however, community service could totally positively reshape an individual by providing social responsibilities.

as society tend to avoid such an individual.
as the society tends to avoid such an individual.

terms of punishment could be reduce
terms of punishment could be reduced