Home >> Ielts Writing Task Ii Ielts Academic Essays

In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies.Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.

mrgrimm1313's picture

Taking a year off after finishing high school for working or traveling has become a custom in some countries. However, some people see such decision is not a good idea. Despite that, both decisions have their own positive and negative aspects, depend on each individual conditions.

It is obvious that final year in high schools put students a lot of stress since their final grades decide which universities they can go. Therefore, taking a break for traveling may not be a bad idea to help them soothing their mind. Obviously, fresh mind after traveling will help them to be fully motivated in their university study. Since they will meet a lot of people from different cultures when traveling, they will learn to adapt in their new culture in universities as well. For students who do not have enough money for traveling, they can work instead. Taking part time jobs will not only help the students to save for their college funding, but also help them to build their basic work skills.

However, there are disadvantages for taking a year off. It is evident that taking a year off temporarily pause the students' brain exercises. Therefore, some students will find it hard to concentrate again for their study after not studying for a while. Moreover, the students may forget their basic knowledge they earned in the high schools, and they need to take some time to review it again. Furthermore, it is always better to finish study at younger age since this age group often performs better than the older ones.

In summary, it is up to young people to decide whether they should take a year off first, or go directly to a university. Since both decisions have their own advantages and disadvantages, the students need to evaluate which decision brings more benefits than the drawbacks in their own cases.