Some people think that strict punishments for driving offences are the key to reducing traffic accidents Others however believe that other measures would be more effective in improving road safety Discuss both these views and give your own opinion

Some people think that strict punishments for driving offences are the key to reducing traffic accidents. Others, however, believe that other measures would be more effective in improving road safety. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

In today’s society, people hold various views as to whether or not harsh punishments would be critical for road safety. Whereas there are persuasive arguments to the contrary, it is my personal belief that many other steps are more effective in tackling traffic offences.
On the one hand, there are several reasons why strict punishments are considered to act as a deterrent. Firstly, as sterner traffic laws are introduced, dangerous drivers will become more aware of the consequences they have to suffer when violating the rules; therefore, they are likely to be more alert and careful when driving. For instance, if monetary penalty and licence suspension were imposed on driving wrongdoers, they would not dare repeat the same offence. Secondly, a high level of fine would greatly contribute to national budget. As a result, the government can allocate more resources to such activities as improving and erecting traffic infrastructure, which is crucial for ensuring road safety.
On the other hand, I agree with those who believe that punishments are not the sole step. To embark on, it is vitally important that driving tests – breeding grounds for road accidents – should be paid attention to by more standardized and challenging requirements, which raises drivers’ awareness of observing traffic rules. Furthermore, local authorities should be responsible for installing surveillance cameras at three-way junctions and four-way intersections so as to deter people from exceeding speed limit or running a red light.
By way of conclusion, although severe punishments can help to prevent traffic laws violation, I reaffirm my state that other road safety measures are not to be overlooked.