Always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship

Always telling the truth is the most important consideration in any relationship.

Telling the truth is not only an important consideration in any relationship, but also one of the aspects that it should be based on. On the other hand, always telling the truth can also be dangerous because the excess of honesty is also likely to be harmful and unkind. For this reason, I do not completely agree with the statement.

Firstly, there are moments in a relationship that telling the truth is not always mandatory. If we take the example of a couple who lives together – let them be called Mark and Kristina. Mark cannot cook very well, but since he has a lot of time off, he decides to surprise his partner and try preparing a meal. When Kristina gets home, everything is beautifully prepared. As she starts eating, she realises that the food does not taste very well. As asked if she likes it, she answers “yes!”. Taking into consideration that she did not want to disappoint her partner and therefore lied, we can understand that not telling the truth in this situation was not completely wrong.

Secondly, the excess of honesty can be taken and felt as unkind from some people. There are or there should be better ways of answering some sorts of questions and, by doing it so, omitting a harmful truth. A way of illustrating this idea can be shown by an example of two friends – let them be named Maria and Karol. Maria has a date and needs help find an outfit. She wears her favourite dress, the one that she was given by her grandmother, who already passed away, and asks Karol if she likes it. Karol finds the dress horrible, but knows she cannot say that because of what this dress represents to Maria. She then suggests putting something else on, alleging that the dress wouldn’t be suitable for the situation. If the truth had been told, Maria would probably have felt terribly.

All in all, I strongly think that telling the truth is important in a relationship. Nevertheless, it should not always be told. There are circumstances in life that needs omitting unnecessary honesty that could potentially be hurtful and unpleasant.