Home >> .

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?It is better to have broad knowledge of many academic subjects than to specialize in one specific subject.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

diegof1390's picture

Education plays an important role in human's lives. It allows them to obtain a lot of information from different fields that are useful in their daily life. Some people believe it is better to have broad knowledge of many academic topics than specializing in a specific. Although they are both important and improve our life in some ways, I believe that it is key an expertise in a subject.

The first argument in favor is that it helps people to find a job. Nowadays, organizations are demanding for people with an important technical background. As a result, we need more knowledge of some specific areas in order to work at important companies and earn a good salary. Besides, somebody specialized in a particular subject has a high probability to get a job more easily.

In addition to having a deeper knowledge, students can also remember information easily. Besides, they can focus only on reading important information. As a consequence, they are more motivated when they are acquiring information of a single topic of their preference. For instance, a lawyer will want to study all the terminology related to his field. However, he will feel discouraged when studying Mathematics.

Finally, having a broad learning does not have the advantages on the efforts needed to be successful. As it was mentioned in the first paragraph, we need deeper understanding of a subject to get a highly paid job. Although with broad knowledge we can decide which subject is the favorite and more helpful, it is necessary to continue studying, but in a lower level of knowledge on it. Therefore, it requires more effort and time to be successful.

To conclude, having broad knowledge or specializing in a particular field are both important. However, specializing in a subject allows people to get a highly paid job with less efforts to be successful.

Your rating: None Average: 7 (1 vote)