Private collectors have been selling and buying fossils, the petrified remains of ancient organisms, ever since the eighteenth century. In recent years, however, the sale of fossils, particularly of dinosaurs and other large vertebrates, has grown into a

diegof1390's picture

The reading passage states that currently private collectors are buying fossils and it is creating problems for the general public and scientist. On the contrary, the lecturer explains that although this practice has some negative consequences, the benefits are major.

First, the author claims that the private owners do not allow the access to see the fossils. Therefore, the audience tend to lose their interest in them. The professor refutes this saying that the fossils can be appreciated by the public. In addition, she argues that private collectors acquire these bones and make it accessible for anybody even though other institutions.

Another argument stated in the article is that scientist are affected because they lose access to important information provided by the fossils. In fact, they might miss information about extinct life because they cannot compete with the prices against private owners. The speaker states that before obtaining the value of fossils, scientists must study in detail and examine the bones. As a result, they will not miss information as it is stated by the author.

Last, but not least, the reading mentions that important evidences are destroyed during the discovery process. T However, the lecturer exposes that there are not enough research expeditions in order to collect these information, and it is better to have more fossils being found than keep them completely undiscovered.

Your rating: None Average: 9 (1 vote)