Independent TOEFL essay - TPO 8: Agree or disagree? Television advertising directed towards young children (aged two to five) should not be allowed

Nowadays, companies and corporations advertise their products throughout target marketing method. This often brings up a controversial question: Is it reasonable to aim at young children under age 5 as a target market? In this regard, some people are inclined toward the opinion that advertisers are not allowed to direct their commercials toward very young children whereas others hold exactly the opposite perspective. I firmly concur with the argument and reject the idea of TV advertising directed toward young children due to children’s vulnerability and immaturity along with the impact of advertising on the company’s benefit.

One of the important reasons that immediately comes to mind is that children at the age of under five are not mature enough to choose the best product considering the quality and the other factors needed to buy a product. In addition, they are susceptible to use goods that may be harmful for them. For example, when my niece was 4 years old, she watched TV commercials a lot and when she went shopping by her father, she always made her father to buy some junk food that she had seen on TV and they were not good for her health. Thus, TV commercials targeted toward young children are irrational.

As mentioned in the previous paragraph, immature children cannot distinguish useful products and this affects children's behavior and brings about consumerism in children. In fact, as the personality of young children is not created yet, every little event can affect his mentality and behavior. That is to say, extreme consumption will pose serious problems for children. Hence, considering social, personal, psychological and economical effects of consumerism and the vulnerability of children, television advertisements should be aimed at older people rather than young children.

Another equally important reason is that children younger than 5 years old cannot buy products without their parents’ permission. Hence, advertisements aiming at young children do not benefit companies. In addition, it makes extra expenses for the company and abates the amount of profit. In contrast, advertising to an older aged target market - parents of the children - and convincing them to buy the product is more profitable and lucrative. Therefore, a suitable target market for the company is not young children.

Decisively, if one considers the vulnerability, immaturity and incapability of the children to buy products, one soon realizes that targeting toward young children is not a reasonable plan for companies and for societies. In fact, TV commercials directed to young children is harmful for everyone and the governments should limit the range of the ages that advertisements are broadcast for them.

The reason 3 is off the topic.

----------------------