Home >> .

TPO-24 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?One of the best ways that parents can help their teenage children prepare for adult life is to encourage them to take a part-time job.Use specific reasons and examples

ZhicongLiang's picture

A prevalent statement we hear a lot today is that taking a part-time job is a good way to prepare children for their adult life since this will make them more independent. A considerable number of oppopents, however, aruge that children should concentrate on their study instead of doing a job, which should not be taken into consideration untill they graduate. As far as I am concerned, the former view seems to align more with my personal perspective. There several reasons to support my point of view. The following two will suffice here.

To begin with, with the development of our society, tasks today are becoming more and more complex that it is impossible for someone to complete individually. And this make team spirit essential in our education. In this case, encouraging children to take a part time job will give them a chance to work in a big company or a restuarant, where they will have to work with plenty of people. In a team, children will learn how to cooperate with their teammates and maintain a good relationship. This training is unavaliable schools where children mainly focus on thinking and doing homework independently. With team spirit, it is easier for a child to fit in a new working environment in their future career development. In addition, their part-time experience will also be a shiny point in their resumes, through which employers may consider these children are outgoing and may get along well with other employees.

Secondly, taking a part-time job will help students know more about their interests and strenghts. An irony phenomenon in China is that students may spend three years on their college entrance exam but only three days on choosing a major in the colleges. The problem facing these children is that they do not even know about themselves. Their decisions are mostly based on the other people's opinion or the mainstream of the society. Major being not related to their interests is the main cause of so many dropping out or changing subjects in the universities, which is a total waste of time and money. On the contrary, when he is finding a part-time job, a child starts to consider what filed he would like to develop in, and what skill he would like to learn. During the job, he will also reflect on his own interest and ability. Through these processes, a child will learn more about himself unconsciously, which will make it more possible for them to make a mature and appropriate decision in the future.

Admittedly, a minority of people may argue that doing a part-time job will distract children from their study. What I would like to refute is that, the purpose of education is to prepare our children the skills that they need when they explore the world in the future instead of fill them with knowledge as much as possible by their graduation. And being a good member in a team and having a deep knowledge about himself are one of these skills.

For the reasons mention above, I highly agree that encouraging children to do part-time job is one of the best way to for them to prepare for the adult life.