Home >> Independent Toefl Writing Essays

TPO-33 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?When teachers assign projects on which students must work together, the students learn much more effectively than when they are asked to work alone on projects.Use spe

lindsey's picture

There are certain considerations or factors that everyone should take into account to investigate and examine the efficiency of working on assignments in groups. While someone contends that it is more effective for students to perform group tasks, I assert that students learn more by working alone on projects, and it is absolutely more skillful. I notably believe that working solely is a more effective way to reveal a better overall result. Someone can consciously weigh the pros and cons of each side. The explanations will be explored in the following essay.

First and foremost, no one can deny the fact that students who work in groups on a certain project enhance the possibility of another student to become lazy and irresponsible. This partner rely a critical amount of work and responsibility on other members, thus unbalancing the distribution of tasks. This is definitely unfair to the other group members. Because of that, some students would be extremely devastated by the increase in the probability of getting an overall low grade at the end. For example, a team in a biology class where it consists of various members. If one of the students possessed a lower IQ ormysteriously decides that he is not going to finalize perfectly his duties, the overall score would be dramatically affected. All the students here are vigorously taken down to drown in the deep ocean of failure.

Furthermore, another noticeable factor is that students sharing tasks tend to waste their time on matters other than the project. Students lose their focus on finding good and productive ideas to improve their work, and otherwise focus on different random and useless activities. For example, when students chat about various subjects and personal issues, they stop focusing on the assigned project and the time will fly by dangerously. While reaching the due date to submit their work, group members will not be fully ready, thus resulting in an extremely unprofessional grade. In spite of the fact that all of the members used to get an excellent score when working individually.

Admittedly, there are some justifications by one who argues that group assignments raise dramatically the level of communication and understanding between group members. Students share ideas, information and suggestions to benefit the whole group in order to achieve the score that they really deserve. However, still I affirm that group work does not lead to a more effective learning than working alone. In fact, group work projects cause a reduction in the information and skills that are expected to be learned. Dividing the tasks that group members are supposed to finish reduce the amount of work done by each individual. Students would not be aware of what other students did, thus a lack in skills learned is a great issue.

Due to aforementioned ground, all folks should bear in mind that working in groups on a project may lead to a reduction in the final result. This is unfair to some students and would harm the process of learning. That is why I prefer to working alone and individualizing the project to reflect the uniqueness of various personalities rather than losing the identity of the project.

Your rating: None Average: 8 (1 vote)