Home >> Independent Toefl Writing Essays

TPO-34 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Educating children is a more difficult task today than it was in the past because they spend so much time on cell phone, online games, and social networking Web site.U

Pattern's picture

A glance at modern education methods brings to light a question that has several times provoked debate, namely, whether or not had the advent of technology has made educating children more difficult. Some might contend that the use of cell phones and the Internet can facilitate education because it brings information within a click on the mouse. Nonetheless, I would like to suggest that cell phones, online games, and social networking websites severely interfere with children's education in terms of their attention,time and the way they learn.

First and foremost, technologies like social networking website deprive students of their invaluable time. At present, it is not uncommon for students to spend a large amount of time on their digital devices. For instance, some children socialize with their friends through cell phone applications whenever they have something to share, others spend several hours playing online games till late night. All of these activities are a waste of time and shorten the time they can use to read and think.

Secondly, today's children find it more difficult to concentration in classes than before. Thanks to the development of Information Technology, people now have access to the Internet almost everywhere. As a result, students tend to chat with their friends or playing online games in the classroom, which undeniably distracts them from their studies. Were they to learn knowledge well, they would have to fully concentrated in the classes, regardless of how smart they are.

Admittedly, there are justifications for those who argue that with modern technology, education is becoming increasingly easier. Cell phones, for example, make teachers more reachable for students than ever before, and the Internet brings all the libraries around the globe on to the students' desks. However, I still affirm that technology makes knowledge fractured and shallow, and it is textbooks and classes that offers systematic and organized knowledge. So relying on new technologies to learn can easily get students bewildered.

Due to the aforementioned ground, education has been more difficult a task today, since students consume too much time on cell phones, online games and social networking websites, and distracted attention and limited time to learn are two prime and conspicuous reasons.