carved stone balls

carved stone balls

The reading states the usefulness of the carved stone balls and provides three different theories. However, the professor explains that none of these theories are very convincing and refutes each of the author's claims.

First, the article claims that the carved stone balls were used for hunting and fighting. Because of the characteristics of the balls, archaeologists have suggested that they were perfect to allow a person to swing around or throw it. The professor refutes this point by saying that other weapons have had signs of wearing. Nevertheless, the stones balls lacked of damage. Therefore, they could not have been used as weapon.

Second, the reading posits that these instruments have been used as a system of weighting and measuring. Moreover, the author mentions that the balls perhaps, measure grain with trade purpose. However, the speaker says that the carved balls were made from different types of stone. According to the professor, each kind of stone had different density, so two balls can differ in weights. Thus, the balls could not have been used to measure.

Third, the article says that the carved balls purpose was social. Furthermore, they had elaborated designs, which it could determinate the social status of the owner. The professor opposes to this point by explaining that while some balls were extremely sophisticated, some others were so simple. Furthermore, the speaker points out that if the balls had such importance, they would have been buried with the owner, but any stone balls have been found in buried places. Thus, this theory cannot be supported based on the evidence.