Chevalier de Sengalt memoir TPO8

Chevalier de Sengalt memoir. TPO8

The article introduces the topic of Chevalier de Seingalt's memoir that is about his exciting life. The author says there are some inaccuracies in it. Although, the lecturer refutes this. He says there is evidence that supports its precision and liability as a historical source.
First, in the reading, the writer begins by stating that Chevalier de Seingalt was poor and was under debt, despite his claim of being wealthy. The lecture, however, disagrees with this viewpoint. Furthermore, the professor states that although he wasted money on gambling and parties, he was not poor. The reason behind borrowing money was that each time he sold one of his properties, he had to wait, without money, for a few days to receive the cash.
In addition, the passage argues that conversations between him and the famous writer Voltaire are not exact because he wrote them years after that; consequently, he could not remember them all. The speaker, on the other hand, points out that these conversations were accurate. According to the professor, each night after he talked with Voltaire, he wrote them down and had regularly consulted those memories.
Lastly, the author believes that there are flaws in the story of the Venetian prison's escape. He also mentions that Seingalt had many influential friends in Venice who could help him escape the prison by bribing the jailers. Nevertheless, the lecture not only disagreed with this claim but also brought a piece of evidence. The speaker says that documents from Venetian prison show they had to repair the ceiling just after Seingalt had escaped.