Dams Hydropower dams are massive concrete walls placed inside rivers or streams to hold back water. Holes in the dam allow controlled amounts of water to pass through and as it moves through these holes, it passes through a machine, which converts that mo

Both the reading and the lecture discuss about ''dams'' and whether it provides positive advantages or not. In the reading the author claims that it's feasible to build dams because they benefits the community. For example, they help the environment and the economy. Nevertheless, the listener doesn't agrees with these points. He provides some counterclaims that cast doubt on the reading.

In the first place, the reading states that dams contribute with the environment protection because they provides habitats for fish. But, the listener doesn't agrees, he thinks that instead of helping animals, dams harm them. For instance, in order to build a dam, water needs to be diverted, so animals may die in this process. Furthermore, when water is returned to it normal course, it won't flows as it used to run before.

Second, the reading says that dams are not pollutants, if we compare them with the coal's plants, they don't release gases. Notwithstanding, the listener thinks that they don't help environment because they harm trees. As a matter of fact, if trees are affected by dams, then they won't be able to clean the air. Furthermore, dams flood houses and in the flooding process produce Methane a substance that affect people.

Finally, the reading posits that dams help local farmers because they may use it to irrigate. On the other hand, the listener disregards this point, he considers that dams contribute with the formation of artificial lakes. Because of this, local residents houses will be affected by flooding water. Furthermore, they will have to be relocated, and the responsible for this is the government. In other words, the government will have to spend a lot of money.

because they benefits the community
because they benefit the community

because they provides habitats for fish
because they provide habitats for fish

a substance that affect people.
a substance that affects people.

Try to use complex sentences like:

You:
dams help local farmers because they may use it to irrigate. //'they' refers to what here? dams or farmers?

better:
dams help local farmers who may use them to irrigate.