Essay topics: Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they cast doubt on specific points made in the reading passage.
A fossil skeleton of a dinosaur called Sinosauropteryx, preserved in volcanic ash, was discovered in Liaoning, China, in 1996. Interestingly, the fossil included a pattern of fine lines surrounding the skeletal bones. Some paleontologists interpret the lines as evidence that Sinosauropteryx had feathers. However, critics have opposed the idea that Sinosauropteryx was a feathered dinosaur, citing several reasons.
First, the critics points out that the fine lines may not even represent functional structures of a living dinosaur, but rather structures that were formed after the animal’s death. After the animal died and was buried in volcanic ash, its skin may have decomposed into fibers. The skin fibers then became preserved as lines in the fossil; the lines were misinterpreted as evidence of feathers.
Second, even if the fine lines are remains of real structures of a Sinosauropteryx, scientists cannot tell with certainty what part of the dinosaur’s anatomy the structures were. Many dinosaurs had frills, ornamental fan-shaped structures growing out of some parts of their bodies. Some of the critics argue that the lines surrounding the skeleton are much more likely to be fossilized remains of frills than remains of feathers.
A third objection is based on the fact that the usual functions of feathers are to help animals fly or regulate their internal temperature. However, the structures represented by the lines in the Sinosauropteryx fossil were mostly located along the backbone and the tail of the animal. This would have made the structures quite useless for flight and of very limited use in thermoregulation. This suggests that the lines do not represent feathers.
The reading passage suggests that the lines of Sinosauropteryx are not possibly an evidence to show that it has feathers. Nevertheless, the lecturer holds an opposite opinion to the idea provided by the reading passage. The lecturer states some corresponding opposite ideas to the three points that mentioned in the reading passage with reasoning and evidence.
First, the reading passage suggests that the fine lines may not even represent functional structures of a living dinosaur. However, the lecturer says that there is no result shows that the decomposition happened. The lines might directly indicates that Sinosauropteryx has feathers.
Second, the reading passage argues that the scientists cannot certainly tell what part of the dinosaur's anatomy the structures were. Nevertheless, the lecture indicates that frills does not contain a certain chemical component indicating feathers. There are some scientific investigation demonstrate that the chemical component lies in the dinosaur's structure which indicates that the lines are an evidences of feathers.
Third, the lecturer notions that feathers may be used for other function, like displaying, rather than just be used as flying as the reading passage suggests. For example, peacock only use feather for displaying, with colorful feathers on it. There are some scientific studies show that some signs indicates that Sinosauropteryx has colorful feathers.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|1 week 2 days ago||Haniehp||3||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 6 days ago||pixlr||60||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||LAnlu ali||3||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||yaaanshk||73||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||yaaanshk||70||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 days ago||arizaturan||81||Read full essay|
|2 months 4 days ago||prabhat123||80||Read full essay|
|2 months 6 days ago||arizaturan||66||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||Gamila||76||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 weeks ago||mghcivil||3||Read full essay|
- Do you agree or disagree the following statement?One quality that a successful leader must have is to make decision quickly; when a leader takes too much time to make decisions, he will be seen as ineffective to the people he lead. (70)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?One of the best ways that parents can help their teenage children prepare for adult life is to encourage them to take a part-time job.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (60)
- Question-------Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they challenge the specific theories presented in the reading passage.Reading Passage--------------Animal fossils usually provide very little opportunity to study the actua (70)
- The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing."During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than (50)
- Educational institutions should dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and su (40)
- Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP's recent s (70)
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any (30)
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?Because the world is changing so quickly, people now are less happy or less satisfied with their lives than people were in the pastUse specific reasons and examples to support your answer. (70)
- Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they cast doubt on specific points made in the reading passage.Reading Passage--------------A fossil skeleton of a dinosaur called Sinosauropteryx, preserved in volcanic ash, was discover (60)