There are several reasons why salvage logging is beneficial both to a damaged forest and to the economy.

The article states why salvage logging is beneficial to forest and provides three reasons of support. However, the professor explains that these benefits will result in long term problems and refutes each of the author's claims.

First, the reading claims that salvage logging removes the remaining of dead trees, so it makes room for fresh growth promptly. The professor refutes this point by saying that cleaning up the forest does not create a perfect environment. In fact, it is said that rapid growth generates soil that lacks of nutrients, which is harmful for the overall forest environment.

Second, the article posits that salvage logging reduces the danger of insect infestation, and thus it contributes to the health of the forest. However, the speaker says that the bark beetle as well as other species does not harm the forest. Furthermore, the beetle has lived there for years, and it has not provoked any issues. In addition, birds and insects contribute to the long term health of the forest. Therefore, salvage logging causes more harm to the forest than insects.

Third, the author mentions the economic benefits of salvage logging. Moreover, industries depend on the forest for production, so a fire can impact greatly the economy. Nevertheless, trees can be used after damaging providing wood that is useful for industries. Also salvage logging requires workers giving more additional jobs for local residents. The professor opposes to this point by explaining that the economic benefits are small. In addition, he says that in order to get the material, expensive and hard to maintain equipment has to be used, such as helicopters. Moreover, the jobs require highly skilled and trained people, so residents could not fulfill these positions.