TOEFL Sample essay : integrated essay from TPO 14

In this set of material, both the reading and the professor are talking about the salvage logging effects to the forest and to the economy. The reading states that, salvage logging is beneficial both to a damaged forest and to the economy , and it provides three supporting reasons. Conversely the professor casts doubts on what has mentioned in the reading.

First, the reading claims that, salvage logging removes the remains of dead trees and makes room for fresh growth immediately. However , the professor says that cleaning up of forest doesn't help tree growth. Natural decomposition enriches the soil, and the dead trees will cause the soil lacks the important nutrients necessary for growth.

Second, the reading argues that, salvage logging helps minimize the dangers of insect infestation such as spruce bark beetle. But the professor says that, it is true but such insects are not really have bad effects to the forest. They are living for 100 years without causing any major damages. In addition, the trees are not providing habitats just for such insects , but also for birds and insects. So the salvage logging will serve damage more than the insects do.

Third, the reading claims that, salvage logging has economic benefits by providing many wood from damaged trees to many industries. Moreover, it requires more workers than traditional logging operation do, so there will be additional jobs for the local residents. But the professor says that, economic benefits are small and are temporarily. Because if they are using helicopter for salvage logging , it will cost them a lot of money. Furthermore, the jobs that are created by salvage logging are temporarily, and it will fill with outside workers who have more experience than the local residents have.

dead trees will cause the soil lacks the important nutrients necessary for growth.
dead trees will cause the soil lacking the important nutrients necessary for the growth.

such insects are not really have bad effects
such insects do not really have bad effects