TOEFL T P O 14 integrated writing task

TOEFL T P O 14- integrated writing task

The reading and the lecture offer two opposing views on salvage logging in forests. Whereas the author of the reading provides three advantages of salvage logging, the lecturer refutes these advantages. She casts doubt on main points made in the reading by suggesting three reasons.
First of all, according to the reading, salvage logging is useful for providing spaces in forests after fire, for new trees to grow, even though, the lecturer believes that cleaning up the forests is not of necessitate. She argues that decomposition of remaining dead trees is important for reaching the soil and in this way, new trees could grow better.
Secondly, author of the reading states that dead trees are a habitat of spruce bark beetle, which is harmful for trees. However, the lecturer asserts that spruce bark beetle has lived for hundred years in Alaskan forest without any distortion, also she states that rotting trees are used by birds and other insects which is significant for the forest. Thus, she affirms that removing dead trees for the purpose of removing spruce bark beetles, will affect contradictorily on the forest.
Finally, the text mentions that salvage logging could be beneficial for economy by providing woods for industries and creating job opportunities, while, the lecturer suggests that the effect of salvage logging on economy, is not very noticeable and she says that expensive equipment such as helicopters are needed for maintaining lumbers which is not lucrative and about creating new jobs, she believes that these jobs are temporary and could not be helpful for local areas ,because experienced people should participate to salvage logging.