TPO 11 Integrated Writing TaskA recent study reveals that people especially young people are reading far less literature novels plays and poems than they used to This is troubling because the trend has unfortunate effects for the reading public for

TPO-11 - Integrated Writing TaskA recent study reveals that people especially young people are reading far less literature,novels, plays, and poems,than they used to. This is troubling because the trend has unfortunate effects for the reading public, for

The reading passage and the lecture discuss the decline in the popularity of reading literature. The author states that such a tendency leads to non-progressive and ignorant society because novels have the best culture raising benefits and readers neglect good writers preferring the entertainment art . The lecturer disagrees with each point made in the reading and suggests that despite this drop people didn’t stop reading other not less intellectual books which also stimulate brain and give knowledge on an equal level with other art forms.

First of all, the reading passage argues that in a world where the level of readers is significantly reduced, people overlook fiction with its profits the most. The author notes that nothing makes a person more reasonable than literature, however, the speaker contends that scientific, historical and political books can be also high quality, without yielding in creativity and language.

Secondly, it is claimed that instead of reading everyone switches to watching TV and surfing on the Internet, sometimes preferring books but with superficial context. The lecturer undermines this point by mentioning music and movies as parts of cultural ways of spending time with a meaning, emphasizing that such expressions can’t be waste of time.

Finally, the article states that the situation on the literature market is tragic, due to public’s unwillingness to buy good books by talented people and further a lack of publishers’ promotion. In the lecture, the speaker disproves this fact by saying that it is writers fault which arose from their inability to express their thoughts in simple language, while readers’ wish is just to get well-written novels.