tpo 15 the spread of the cane toads in Australia

The reading passage proposes several measures in order stop the spread of the cane toad in Australia. The professor, however, points out the problem with each of the solutions, making them appear harmful and ineffective.

First, it is suggested by the author that a national fence can be erected to block the advance of the toad just like how it used to prevent the spread of harmful rabbits. The professor strongly asserts that this approach won't be successful. She further explains it will be likely the young and eggs of cane toads can be carried back to the country through the means of streams and rivers. Even just a few offsprings can quickly grow and multiply to a greater population.

Second, although the method of asking residents to give a hand in directly getting rid of cane toads seems plausible, the lecturer notes that untrained volunteers might cause harm to other native amphibians. In fact, it is challenging to differentiate between the cane toad and other native toad species, especially when they are young. Thus, it is likely many native amphibians could be captured instead by poorly trained volunteers.

Third, as regard to the proposed use of disease-causing virus, the speaker claims that it will be a terrible measure to carry out since the virus will certainly have negative impacts on the population of the cane toad in their original habitat in America. To be more specific, animals from Australia are often transported to other countries. Once an animal carrying the harmful virus to America, the virus will be able to attack cane toads in the area. This can cause tremendous harm to native species in America and the eco-system there as a whole.