TPO 22 Ethanol Fuel

TPO 22 Ethanol Fuel

The main topic of both the reading passage and the lecture is ethanol fuel, which is made from plants such as corn and sugar cane. The author of the passage suggests three reasons that the replacement to ethanol isn't practical. However, the lecturer casts doubt on these reasons by introducing ethanol's not a good alternative for fuel.
Firstly, the reading passage states the harmful effect of ethanol fuel on the atmosphere. Thus, it causes global warming because, when ethanol burned it releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Moreover, this process wouldn't help to solve the worldwide problem at all. But, the lecture rebuts it by mentioning growing corn itself releases greenhouse gases. So, every growing plant absorbs carbon dioxide and minimizes the level of global warming.
Secondly, the author reveals the dramatic reduction of plants for feeding farm animals such as cows and chickens. Furthermore, nowadays in the USA for 10% of fuel needs they use 60% of the corn. Nevertheless, the professor rejects this by stating cellulose, which is used for the growing plant, is not eaten by animals. Thus, cellulose is the main component of plant cells. As a result, the amount of forage for animals wouldn't decrease.
Thirdly, the reading states that the price of ethanol fuel will never be able to compete with the price of gasoline. Currently, the similarity between costs is due to the help in the form of tax. So, If the United States government were to stop helping producers, the demand for ethanol fuel would increase. But, the lecture contradicts the idea by mentioning whenever the usage of ethanol increases, the prices would also be decreased. If lots of people consume it, costs will be drop. As a sum, increase production leads reduction of the charge.