TPO 32 – Integrated

Essay topics

In these set of materials, the reading states that the Quakers -which are odd noises that lasted under water in the Atlantic Ocean near Russia, from 1960s-1980s- can be explained by three theories. However, the professor states that no one can be sure about Quakers sound’s origin. , She opposes each theory.

First, the reading claims that the strange noises were actually the calls of male and female of orca whales during a courtship ritual. The professor says that this theory seems plausible at first, but it is ultimately unlikely. The whales live close to the surface, and submarines can’t hear its noise since they are located deep in the ocean. In addition, orca whales can easily be detected by Russian sonar if they are nearby.

Second, the reading claims that the sound were caused by the giant squid. Conversely, the professor opposes this theory because the odd sounds were heard between 1960-1980 while squid lived there before these sounds started and after they stopped. Therefore, there is no reason to start here the noises at 1960 suddenly and also stop hearing it at 1980 suddenly too.

Third, the reading suggests that these sounds were related to another country’s submarines that were secretly patrolling the area. The professor refutes this this theory as well. She says that the sources of the sounds seems to move around and change direction very quickly. And a technology to build submarines with such a speed and a silent engine is not available even today.

there is no reason to start here the noises
there is no reason to start hearing the noises

the sources of the sounds seems to move around
the sources of the sounds seem to move around