TPO 32 Integrated Task

TPO 32 Integrated Task

The focus of the passage is on the origin of the odd sounds known as "quackers" in the North Atlantic and Arctic Ocean waters. On one hand, the writer put forwards three possible theories for explaining such sounds. On the other hand, the professor disagrees and claims that there are some problems with the suggested theories.

First, the writer suggests that maybe the odd sounds were actually a way for Orca whales to appeal to their future mates. However, the professor rejects this theory by pointing out that these creatures live and move near the surface of the ocean but the marines were in deep. Therefore, such sounds could not be originated by Orca whales. Also, if they were producing such sounds, the marines would have easily detected the whales near them.

Second, the writer proposes that maybe giant squids caused these sounds as they are intelligent animals and it is possible that they have such ability to do so. but again, the professor refutes this theory. She notes that the sounds had been originated for almost two decades and then disappeared. this suggests that there is no logical reason for squids, which lived there forever, to produce these sounds for just a short period of time and then not to emit them. Hence, the squids theory is not convincing.

Last but not least, the writer asserts that maybe the Russians were picking up other country's military technology, which explains why they were undetectable by sonar. In contrast, the professor opposes this theory. She mentions that the direction of the sounds was changing all the time and even today we have not that fast submarines. In addition, all submarines have engine sounds, which makes them vulnerable to detection by enemy. But, no engine sounds were detected which makes this theory more implausible.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.