TPO-33 - Integrated Writing Task Carved stone balls are a curious type of artifact found at a number of locations in Scotland. They date from the late Neolithic period, around 4,000 years ago. They are round in shape; they were carved from several types o

Aftab1's picture

Both the lecture and the reading, discussing the theories that concern the meaning of the carved rocks. The professor in the lecture explains some reasons that the theories are unconvincing.
At first, the professor believes that the rocks could not have been used as weapons. Because ancient weapons usually had hand access or narrow head, but any of these rocks has the sign of war. Also, the surface of these rocks was preserved, hence they should not have been used as a weapon that contradicts the point in the passage that states the stones were for fighting.
The second point that the professor points out is that they were not a part of a primitive system because they have different densities. The professor expresses that although the rocks have the same sizes, but they consist of different materials and have diverse weights. This argumentation challenges the second theory in the passage.
Finally, the professor acclaims that it is unlikely that these rocks were a kind of social marker. She proposes two reasons for casting doubt on the third theory in the passage. At first, a few of the rocks have intricate patterns and most of them are simple; then none of them have found in graves or other related places.
All in all, the professor explains the deficiencies of the three theories that are proposed for the meaning of the carved stones.

Your rating: None Average: 8 (1 vote)