TPO-33 - Integrated Writing Task Carved stone balls are a curious type of artifact found at a number of locations in Scotland. They date from the late Neolithic period, around 4,000 years ago. They are round in shape; they were carved from several types o

hoangtuyet's picture

The reading and the speaker discuss the use of Carved stone balls, which is a type of artifact that found in Scotland from different perspectives. The author of the reading believes that people use the carved stone balls for three purposes However, the speaker casts doubt on the claims made in the article. He says that none of the ideas are convincing.
First of all, the author of the reading points out that because the surface of the carved stone balls have holes and grooves, they could use as weapon in hunting or fighting. This point is challenged by the speaker. He restates the fact that hunting weapons often contain the wears in their surface in order to attack the preys. Meanwhile, the surface of the carved stone balls show no wears or damages.
Secondly, the author of the reading contends that because the carved stone balls are uniform in size, they could be used to weigh or measure things. The speaker rebuts this reason by saying that the carved stone balls are identical in size but they are not the same massive due to the fact that they made from different material. Actually, some stone balls made from sand and some made from stone. Therefore, the density are totally different each other. As a result, they cannot use to measure or weight things.
Finally, the author of the reading states that the carved stone balls might be important social status of their owners. The speaker, on the other hand, opposes this point by saying that the carved stone balls look to simple. It cannot use as a social dignity of their owners. Moreover, according to the tradition of the Neolithic people when people die they tend to bury their possession with their bodies in tomb. However, when scientists unearthed the graves there, they found nothing in the tombs.