TPO 34 Integrated Writing Task A huge marine mammal known as Steller s sea cow once lived in the waters around Bering Island off the coast of Siberia It was described in 1741 by Georg W Steller a naturalist who was among the first Europeans to see

TPO-34 - Integrated Writing Task A huge marine mammal known as Steller’s sea cow once lived in the waters around Bering Island off the coast of Siberia. It was described in 1741 by Georg W. Steller, a naturalist who was among the first Europeans to see

The reading and lecture are both about the extinction of a specific see cows who lived around Bering island named Steller. The author of the reading feels that there are three reasons that explain this extinction. However, the lecturer challenges the claims made by the author. He is of the opinion that these explanations are wrong.
First of all, the author argues that see cows have been overhunting by natives. They are a good source of food and overhunting during hundreds of years decrease the number of this mammals. This specific argument is challenged by the lecturer. He claims that the population of Sabrian was low, and these marines were massive and one of them was about ten tons. So, a couple of them could feed the whole population for months and the natives would not need overhunting.
Additionally, the writer suggests that one possible reason can be ecosystem disturbance. In the article it is said that the decreasing the main source of the food Kelp caused declining the population of Steller. This specific argument is challenged by the lecture. He claims that the ecosystem disturbance would affect on the other marines such as whales too, but there wasn't any record of declining of the other sea mammals.
Finally, author posits that European fur trader can be the main cause of this extinction. Additionally, in the article it is states that Europeans used weapon that increase pace of hunting and overhunting by this trader caused diminish these see cows. In contrast, the lecturer's position is that soon after they arrived these see cows extinct. He notes that these mammals have huge number and there should be a serious cause before the Europeans arrive that decline the population and they cannot be the main reason.

Write the essay in 20 minutes.