TPO 40 Integrated Writing Task

TPO 40 Integrated Writing Task

The reading passage explores why it will be impossible for people to inhabit Venus, and several problems are given in support of this argument. Although these obstacles seem reasonable, the lecturer suggests that we can overcome them by building space stations floating fifty kilometers above Venus’ surface.
To begin with, the author of the article claims that the atmospheric pressure is too high on Venus which will crush the things landing on Venus. Conversely, the lecturer mentions that the pressure above Venus' surface is similar to those on Earth and won’t pose an impact on space stations. Thereby, we are likely to permanently maintain our lives in the above-floating construction.
Second, even though the author argues that Venus’ surface and atmosphere don't embody a great volume of water, and it will be impractical to obtain water from Earth which also violates the original purpose, the lecturer argues that it is solvable, proposing that oxygen and water can be derived from the chemical compound including carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide in the planet’s atmosphere. As a result, there is no need to worry about the necessary resources for human survival.
Last but not least, the lecturer concurs with the author that there are thick clouds and dense layers of carbon dioxide blocking and reflecting the sunlight. Nevertheless, the lecturer indicates that the cloud will be thinner in the place where buildings are situated. Furthermore, people can utilize not only the sunlight that passes through the cloud but the reflected sunlight as well. Accordingly, we probably can have sufficient solar energy to function the equipment.