TPO-40 - Integrated Writing Task Many scientists believe it would be possible to maintain a permanent human presence on Mars or the Moon. On the other hand, conditions on Venus are so extreme and inhospitable that maintaining a human presence there would

Mennatallah's picture

In this set of material, the reading passage suggests three conditions in the Venus make the live on it's surface impossible. However, the lecture finds all the idea dubious and skeptical and there are new challenge makes the life there certainly possible by establishing a station floating on Venus surface like balloon, and the professor provides some helpful reasons.

First of all, the reading passage claims that the atmospheric pressure on Venus is at least greater 90 times than on Earth. So, any spacecraft that have landed there will be crushed by this extreme pressure. On the contrary, the professor refutes this point by explaining that the flooded balloon station will be on a height of fifty kilometers above the Venus surface, and at that height the pressure is same to the pressure on the Earth.

Furthermore, it mentioned in the passage that there are no water reservoirs on Venus surface, also, the atmosphere contains a high quantities of carbon dioxide, sulfuric acid and nitrogen. But there are no water vapor or oxygen. So, it will be very hard to bring water and oxygen from the Earth. Conversely, the professor discuss that the organic compounds that exist on Venus atmosphere like carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid could be used on station to produce sufficient quantities of water and oxygen necessary for life.

Finally, the reading passage poses that there is little sunlight reaches the Venus surface as the thick clouds reflected 60 percent of the light back into space. That will cause in lack of produce solar power cells to generate electricity. In contrast, the professor claim that the stationary exist above 50 kilometers where the clouds are very thin. That's will make it to reflect the sunlight on surface and hence produce the electricity.

Your rating: None Average: 7 (1 vote)