TPO 41 Coal ash

TPO 41 Coal ash

The reading and lecture discuss about creating new, strict regulations for handling and storing coal ash, which is a material that contains little amount of dangerous chemicals. The author of the reading believes that new regulations are unnecessary and might have negative ramifications. However, the speaker says that there should be strict rule adopted for disposing of coal ash.

First, the author claims that power company says that environmental regulations already exist. Companies that dispose of coal ash in disposal ponds must use liner in every new pond they build. On the other hand, the lecture explains that it is correct that liner should be used when company builds a new pond. However, older disposal sites have cause damage. For example, coal can contaminate in drinking water. So, there should be strict rule to prevent environmental damage on new site as well as on old site.

Next, the author contends that creating strict rules for storing and handling coal ash may discourage the recycling of coal ash into other products. Nevertheless, the professor refutes this argument and states that this new strict rule would not mean that consumers will stop recycling coal ash. There are other materials which are toxic and have been recycling safely. For example, mercury. She says that mercury is also considered a hazardous material and therefore subject to strict handling and storing method. In addition to this, mercury is safely recycle and consumers have a few concerns with it.

Finally, the article posits that strict regulations would result in increase cost for the power company. In contrast, the lecturer agrees with the fact that it will increase the cost but the result is well worth the extra cost. Cost implementing this rule would be a lot of money. Needless to say, it will increase consumers' household electricity bill by one percent and that is not much of the price to pay for clean environment.