TPO 44 Integrated Writing Task

The reading and the lecture are both contradicting each other, in terms of historical evidence of the silver coin which was discovered from an American archeological site. More specifically, the writer discusses the three theories which reveal that the discovered coin is fake and is not present genuine historical evidence. However, the lecturer casts doubt about the hypothesis presented in the passage and refutes all the theories explained in the article.

According to the article, the first dispute focuses on the fact that the Norse traveled to the other continents which are far from the place where the first coin was discovered. Nonetheless, the speaker negates the argument presented in the passage. Furthermore, he declares that Norse people did not stay in one place and traveled to various distant places throughout North America. As a result, they obtained some valuable possession with them and brought them back with them.

Moreover, another passage highlights that there were no other coins found at other places where Norse used to live for short terms. On the contrary, the narrator believes there are some flaws in the writer's argument. In addition, the speaker points out the Norse people stayed at any location temporarily. Hence, they preferred to take back their valuable commodities with them while returning to Europe.

Lastly, the test explains that since the Norse knew that North American people were using a different currency and the silver coin would not be useful for them. Conversely, the speaker again opposes the theory by asserting that the silver coin was appealing for their natural beauty to the native American people and they started making their jewelry from these silver coins. Consequently, the Europeans started trading with them for coins which reveal the fact that the coins were available in North America.