TPO-46 - Integrated Writing Task

negar.shh's picture

The reading passage and the lecture are both about the electronic medical record systems in which the patients' information is kept in databases instead of on paper. More specifically, the writer discusses the advantages of these electronic records in comparison with the traditional ways. The lecturer in the listening passage disagrees. She believes that there is inaccuracy in the mentioned benefits and provides some evidence to refute all of them.
First of all, the author begins by stating that the electronic archive gives rise to a decrease in the expenses related to the storage and conveying the medical data. The lecturer, however, disagrees. She declares that in spite of improving the ways of preserving the medical histories in electronic databases, the doctors tend to keep a paper back up from the patients' documents in emergency situations. Therefore, they already have paid the cost of this records protection.
Furthermore, the article mentioned that electronic medical records are a safe approach to inhibit human faults to some considerable extent. Again, the professor in the listening passage believes there are flaws in the writer's argument. The speaker holds that this attitude will not eliminate the doctors' errors as long as they still are utilizing note-taking to record the medical information, and then convert them into the electronic records.
Lastly, the article mentions that this avenue for recording medical documents might contribute to medical investigations in order to accumulate a massive amount of information simultaneously. In turn, the lecturer is doubtful that this is accurate. She states that the researcher will not necessarily take benefits from this opportunity. She says that there is patient privacy law in the United States which restrict the access into patients' medical history. Thus, they need to get the upper-level permissions in order to reach these documents.

Your rating: None Average: 8 (1 vote)