The article and the lecturer are both about the navigation of humpback whales by using the stars. While the author provides three theories on using the stars, the lecturer casts doubt by saying that those theories are fascinating and not convincing as well.
First theory states that humpback whales would be intelligent enough to use the stars to navigate by, as they might have well-developed cognitive ability. However, the professor opposes that by saying that there is no connection between intelligence of animal and using stars to navigate. He gives example for ducks, which are not highly intelligent and they using stars in their navigation. So there is no connection between animal's intelligence and using stars in navigation.
Second theory claims that moving of humpback whales in straight line for long distance would confirm using stars in their navigation. Conversely, the lecturer argues by introducing different explanation, which is the sensation of humpback whales to extra object and forces like earth magnetic field. The humpback whales have a substance called biomagnetite, which make them very sensitive to use earth magnetic field in navigation and not the stars.
The author states the last theory, which is exhibiting of humpback whales unusual behavior called spy-hopping, by raising their head above the water. They may look to stars to provide them with the information they need. The lecturer, on the other hand, contradict this theory by saying that spy-hopping is rare in humpback whales and many marine animals like sharks, which never migrate, are doing it for hunting. In addition, humpback whales usually do this during the day, when there are no starts.
- TPO-04 - Integrated Writing Task Endotherms are animals such as modern birds and mammals that keep their body temperatures constant. For instance, humans are endotherms and maintain an internal temperature of 37°C, no matter whether the environment is wa 71
- TPO-08 - Integrated Writing Task Toward the end of his life, the Chevalier de Seingalt (1725-1798) wrote a long memoir recounting his life and adventures. The Chevalier was a somewhat controversial figure, but since he met many famous people, including ki 81
- TPO-20 - Integrated Writing Task In the United States, it had been common practice since the late 1960s no to suppress natural forest fires. The “let it burn” policy assumed that forest fire would burn themselves out quickly, without causing much dama 78
- TPO-29 - Integrated Writing Task Large numbers of dinosaur fossils have been discovered in deposits on Alaska's North Slope, a region that today experiences an extremely cold,arctic climate. One hundred million years ago, when those dinosaurs were alive, 80
- TPO-20 - Integrated Writing Task In the United States, it had been common practice since the late 1960s no to suppress natural forest fires. The “let it burn” policy assumed that forest fire would burn themselves out quickly, without causing much dama 63
Transition Words or Phrases used:
conversely, first, however, if, look, may, second, so, well, while, in addition, on the other hand
Attributes: Values AverageValues Percentages(Values/AverageValues)% => Comments
Performance on Part of Speech:
To be verbs : 11.0 10.4613686534 105% => OK
Auxiliary verbs: 5.0 5.04856512141 99% => OK
Conjunction : 8.0 7.30242825607 110% => OK
Relative clauses : 12.0 12.0772626932 99% => OK
Pronoun: 20.0 22.412803532 89% => OK
Preposition: 36.0 30.3222958057 119% => OK
Nominalization: 15.0 5.01324503311 299% => Less nominalizations (nouns with a suffix like: tion ment ence ance) wanted.
Performance on vocabulary words:
No of characters: 1432.0 1373.03311258 104% => OK
No of words: 270.0 270.72406181 100% => OK
Chars per words: 5.3037037037 5.08290768461 104% => OK
Fourth root words length: 4.05360046442 4.04702891845 100% => OK
Word Length SD: 2.66171350691 2.5805825403 103% => OK
Unique words: 140.0 145.348785872 96% => OK
Unique words percentage: 0.518518518519 0.540411800872 96% => OK
syllable_count: 432.0 419.366225166 103% => OK
avg_syllables_per_word: 1.6 1.55342163355 103% => OK
A sentence (or a clause, phrase) starts by:
Pronoun: 2.0 3.25607064018 61% => OK
Article: 7.0 8.23620309051 85% => OK
Subordination: 3.0 1.25165562914 240% => Less adverbial clause wanted.
Conjunction: 0.0 1.51434878587 0% => OK
Preposition: 3.0 2.5761589404 116% => OK
Performance on sentences:
How many sentences: 13.0 13.0662251656 99% => OK
Sentence length: 20.0 21.2450331126 94% => OK
Sentence length SD: 35.9140986969 49.2860985944 73% => OK
Chars per sentence: 110.153846154 110.228320801 100% => OK
Words per sentence: 20.7692307692 21.698381199 96% => OK
Discourse Markers: 7.53846153846 7.06452816374 107% => OK
Paragraphs: 4.0 4.09492273731 98% => OK
Language errors: 0.0 4.19205298013 0% => OK
Sentences with positive sentiment : 5.0 4.33554083885 115% => OK
Sentences with negative sentiment : 4.0 4.45695364238 90% => OK
Sentences with neutral sentiment: 4.0 4.27373068433 94% => OK
What are sentences with positive/Negative/neutral sentiment?
Coherence and Cohesion:
Essay topic to essay body coherence: 0.47684013011 0.272083759551 175% => OK
Sentence topic coherence: 0.181860031586 0.0996497079465 182% => OK
Sentence topic coherence SD: 0.0807462144663 0.0662205650399 122% => OK
Paragraph topic coherence: 0.285815702857 0.162205337803 176% => OK
Paragraph topic coherence SD: 0.0893040256771 0.0443174109184 202% => More connections among paragraphs wanted.
automated_readability_index: 13.9 13.3589403974 104% => OK
flesch_reading_ease: 51.18 53.8541721854 95% => OK
smog_index: 8.8 5.55761589404 158% => OK
flesch_kincaid_grade: 11.1 11.0289183223 101% => OK
coleman_liau_index: 13.46 12.2367328918 110% => OK
dale_chall_readability_score: 8.2 8.42419426049 97% => OK
difficult_words: 61.0 63.6247240618 96% => OK
linsear_write_formula: 11.5 10.7273730684 107% => OK
gunning_fog: 10.0 10.498013245 95% => OK
text_standard: 14.0 11.2008830022 125% => OK
What are above readability scores?
Rates: 80.0 out of 100
Scores by essay e-grader: 24.0 Out of 30
Note: the e-grader does NOT examine the meaning of words and ideas. VIP users will receive further evaluations by advanced module of e-grader and human graders.