TPO 5

TPO 5

The reading passage examines the issue of Chaco structures. The professor's lecture focuses on the same topic. However, he claims that the three theories in the reading seem plausible at first glance, but not really convincing. In the lecture, he provides three compelling arguments to support his idea.

First, although the reading passage suggests that Chaco structures were purely residential, since it is surprisingly similar to the well-known house at New Mexico, the professor argues in the lecture that the inside of Chaco structures is totally different to that of the house at New Mexico. This means the main function of Chaco structures must not be residential because there are few fireplaces inside. Specifically, the largest fireplace in Chaco structures can only support 10 families, which is strikingly less than the amount people can live here.

In addition, contrary to the statement in the reading that Chaco structures were used to store food supplies, especially their main crops, grain maize, the professor contends that the main use of Chaco structures is not to store food. This is because there is no trace of spilled maize and food container. In other words, if plenty of crops were once stored in the house, some traces would be found.

Finally, the professor asserts that Chaco structures is not used as ceremonial centers, whereas the author of the reading state that Chaco structures is for ceremonial purpose since some broken pots have been found there. The professor shows that this claim is specious by pointing that some construction materials like sands and stones, also have been found in the same place, which indicates that the broken pots are not a convincing evidence.

Chaco structures is not used as ceremonial centers
Chaco structures are not used as ceremonial centers

Chaco structures is for ceremonial purpose
Chaco structures are for ceremonial purpose