TPO49 Humpback whales

Essay topics

Both reading and writing discuss a speculation about how humpback whales can swim long distances. the reading provide some reasons for this issue, however, the professors casts doubt on all of them.

First, the reading asserts that one reason regarding this matter is that this kind of whale has a high level of inteligence. Therefore, it will be able to understand and navigate by aids of stars. In contrast, the speaker states that sharpness and ability of navigation are not connected to each other. As an example, dogs can navigate properly, but they just have an average inteligence. Conclusively, navigation ability is just an ability that an animal can be born with and it is not related to inteligence.

Second, based on reading, because whales swim in straight lines, they cant find their way by using some external elements to lead them. Again, the professor exerts that animals such as birds have a substance in their body that by help that, they can sense magnitude of earth
when they migrate and as a result, they can find out their way. To put it more clearly, it is not just about rely on external features such as stars.

Third, the reading explain that the behavior of looking at sky and spy-hopping by humpback whales can be concieved as their try to navigate by stars. However, the lecturer says that sharks also do this but they just do it for the purpose of finding animals to hunt. So, this behavior cannot be certainly considered as a proof for the reason stated in the reading for whales.