Essay topics: In a vote that took place at the International Astronomical Union Conference on August 24th, 2006, Pluto lost its status as a planet in our solar system. Pluto was originally discovered in 1930 when scientists were searching for something that was interfering with Uranus's orbit. Though Pluto was estimated to be similar in size to Earth, it was later discovered that it was even smaller than our own moon, as well as many other moons. It is now known that there are thousands of planetary objects similar to Pluto, including Eris which is slightly larger than Pluto. Choosing to reclassify Pluto to a dwarf planet honors the fact that science is about making new discoveries. While it was a sad day for Pluto lovers, people in general have accepted the idea, and the next generation of children will grow up knowing only eight planets and thinking nothing of it. As Mike Brown, the astronomer who discovered Eris, noted following the IUC's decision, "science is self-correcting."
There is a controversial debate about planet status of several planetary objects near to Uranus’s orbit such as Pluto and Eris. In 24th August 2006, International Astronomical Union Conference removed the planet honours for these objects.
Firstly, the discovery of Pluto in 13th March 1930 had intrigued scientists, because of its size according to the lecture and the reading. It mentioned that Pluto is likely to have the same measures as Earth, but after that, it was considered to be smaller than our Moon.
Secondly, astronomers had voted against the idea that Pluto is a planet. From the listening, the election consisted of 10% of astronomers, some of whom claimed that Pluto should not be included in Solar System. In contrast with the reading passage, Mr Mike Brown give an unsupportive response regarding IUC’s decision that “science is self-correcting”. So, he expects that this situation will be changed in the future.
Thirdly, the election results from the conference in 2006 have generated an enormous stock among people who have a passion for astronomy, especially for Pluto. The public declares “Great Pluto War” to IUC’s ideas about Pluto. They hope that next generation will adopt their opinion about Pluto and Eris.
- In the past decade, concerns regarding the safety of traditionally grown produce have arisen. Many chemicals are being used to control pests on crops, which have prompted some consumers to begin purchasing “organic” produce - fruits and vegetables tha (80)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Modern technology is creating a single world culture. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion. (60)
- Chorleywood is a village near London whose population has increased steadily since the middle of the nineteenth century. The map below shows the development of the village.Write a report for a university lecturer describing the development of the village. (80)
- Some people believe that electronic calculators should not be allowed in school until after the pupils have mastered mental arithmetic. Others believe that calculators save pupils time especially with complicated calculations. Discuss both these views and (70)
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Attending a live performance (for example, a play, a concert, or sporting event) is more enjoyable than watching the same event on television. (70)
- Historically, schools in the US have borrowed the European system of school organization, a system that separates students into grades by chronological age. In general, children begin formal schooling at the age of six in what is referred to as the first (80)
- In a vote that took place at the International Astronomical Union Conference on August 24th, 2006, Pluto lost its status as a planet in our solar system. Pluto was originally discovered in 1930 when scientists were searching for something that was interfe (70)
- By punishing murderers with the death penalty, society is also guilty of committing murder. Therefore, life in prison is a better punishment for murderers. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the statement? (70)
- The charts below show how the percentage of their food budget the average family spent on restaurant meals in different years. The graph shows the number of meals eaten in fast food restaurant and sit-down restaurant. (80)
- Some people think that they can make as much noise as they want, while others think that the amount of noise people make should be strictly controlled. Discuss both views and include your own opinion and examples. (80)