q3-New English Exam Currently, all entering freshman take level 1 English first and then level 2. Starting in the fall term, freshman will be required to take an English entrance exam to determine which level they should be placed in. Those with a high en

Speaking topics in text

q3-New English Exam

Currently, all entering freshman take level 1 English first and then level 2. Starting in the fall term, freshman will be required to take an English entrance exam to determine which level they should be placed in. Those with a high enough score will not be required to take level 1. The English department feels that this change will help students whose English skills are strong save time and expenses. Also, since many students are expected to test out of level 1, level 1 classes will be smaller and help students with poorer English skills receive more attention from instructors.

M: Did you hear about the new English test?
W: Yeah. I read about it in the school newspaper.
M: What do you think about it?
W: Well, I think it’s a fantastic idea. Level 1 English was really easy for me and it felt like a huge waste of time. Most of what my professor taught I had already learned in my junior and senior years of high school.
M: Really?
W: Yeah. It would have been much better to take a class I really needed. I felt like I was just wasting my tuition. I hated going to that class.
M: Wow. Sounds like you really didn’t like it. Do you think it’ll help the lower level students too?
W: Of course. I think 75% of the students that I talked to thought the same way I did. And the other students who felt it was kind of hard really needed to be in that level. I’m sure once this test is in place, a lot of freshman will place into level 2, which will really help those that stay in level 1 get the attention they need. Smaller class sizes always make a big difference.

Online speaking recording
Speaking category