q6-pctc5Scientists have learned some interesting things about animals and the ways they’ve evolved to ensure their survival. One adaptation we’ve seen animals take advantage of to protect themselves against predators is mimicry. Mimicry is unique beca

Speaking topics in text

q6-pctc5
Scientists have learned some interesting things about animals and the ways they’ve evolved to ensure their survival. One adaptation we’ve seen animals take advantage of to protect themselves against predators is mimicry. Mimicry is unique because it occurs when one animal makes itself look like another animal to avoid a common predator. There are two forms of mimicry that we’ll discuss today.

The first is Batesian mimicry. In this form of mimicry, an animal that is not poisonous will take on the appearance of an animal that is poisonous to avoid a common predator. A good example of this is seen in some species of non-poisonous flies. Over time, these flies have evolved the yellow-black markings of poisonous bees. This is beneficial to the flies because birds, a predator of small flying insects, have learned, through painful experience, to associate yellow-black markings with a bee’s ability to defend itself with its poisonous stinger. Consequently, birds avoid any animal with these markings.

Another form of mimicry, Mullerian mimicry, occurs when different species of poisonous animals all take on the same appearance. They evolve a similar appearance so that their common predator will learn quickly to avoid them all. Evidence of this can be seen in certain species of butterflies. A common predator of butterflies is, again, the bird. The Monarch butterfly is rather toxic to birds. And, the Viceroy butterfly is also a very toxic source of food for birds. To protect themselves against this common predator, both have evolved a similar orange and black appearance. This is beneficial for both butterflies because it ensures that birds will learn very quickly to avoid this common appearance. Since, rather than have birds experiment and learn two different markings to avoid, they need learn only one.

Online speaking recording
Speaking category