My Community Service,Why it is important and What I've gained from it. and Letter of Interest and Resume

Letter of Interest

My name is Chelsey Nichole Smith. I attend Columbus High School in Columbus Mississippi. My plan is to enroll into a junior college and obtain the prerequisites for getting into a Physical Therapy Program. As I evolve into adulthood, I’ve begun to understand what my mom has always taught me in terms of investing in knowledge. As an only child, I never had that big sister or big brother to look up to; however, my mom has been the best role model I could ever ask for because she always encourages me to do my best in everything. I believe that I would be a great candidate for this scholarship opportunity because I am passionate about pursuing a career in physical therapy and I want to continue my education at a university that could give me the tools that I need to be successful in this field of study.

I am currently enrolled in my third year of the medical technology program at Columbus High School in Columbus Mississippi; furthermore, I can’t wait to obtain the knowledge and skills within this field. Therefore, the funds that I receive from this scholarship would assist with books and supplies that I will need in college. Also, the cost of tuition has gone up since the mid-nineties and my parents don’t intend on creating student loans for me nor themselves; therefore, any assistance with college would be beneficial.

Thank you in advance

Chelsey Nichole Smith

Chelsey Nichole Smith
3266 HWY 69 SOUTH
COLUMBUS MS. 39702
PHONE (662) 386-0300
E-MAIL:chelsey.nsmith14@gmail.com

EDUCATION
2009-Present Columbus High School
GPA: 2.90
215 Hemlock Street, Columbus MS 39701

PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
Zeta Phi Bata Archonettes of Columbus MS
Boys & Girls Club of Columbus MS
Member of HOSA (Health Occupation Students of America) Columbus MS

VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
Windsor Place Nursing Home of Columbus MS
• Sit with residents
• Read books to the residents
• Assisted with arts & crafts
Genesis Dream Center of Columbus MS
• After-school tutoring
• Community outreach activities
• Taught arts & crafts activities to youths

Evangel Church of Columbus MS
• Work in the Children’s Ministry
• Community Outreach

Columbus Arts Council Columbus, MS
Assistance for Arts & Crafts, Supervisor: Mrs. Tina (662) 328-2787
• Performed various roles in arts and craft.
• Taught different painting techniques to students
• Student leader in providing snacks to the students

COMPUTER SKILLS
Windows, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office

REFERENCES
Mrs. Mary Moore, School Teacher (662) 386-2677
Mrs. Cheryl Smith, Assistance Supervisor of Special Education (662) 275-0709
Mrs. Melanie Ford, School Teacher (662) 251-6120

The Benefits of Community Service

One important aspect of my character is that I love helping people; I also, like to make people feel valued and important; most of all, I like giving back to the community because this is something my mother and father have instilled in me. I show this by volunteering countless hours weekly at the Boys and Girls Club within my community, where I help children with their homework and also, provide enrichment to them while their parents work late.

Another volunteer experience is participating every summer with the Art Council’s Summer youth program, where I assist younger children with various arts and crafts activities, providing them snacks and assisting the art director with different task within the camp. I also spend time on the weekend at a local nursing home by reading to the elderly and working in the activities department.

Most importantly, I attend church regularly; not only do I attend church, but I assist with the children’s ministry as well. I am also a member of the Archonette Organization, where we meet weekly for community services, such as preparing food for the workers at the hospital, donating Christmas baskets to different families, tutoring at-risk students and various outreach opportunities. One particular verse from the book of Second John in the bible says “Look to yourselves that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward”. I want to receive what is available to me.

Community service is important because it builds character and self-worth. It also, gives people an opportunity to give back to their community. It provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvement. It brings people together for one common goal and it also strengthen the community.

In conclusion, my involvement in community service has helped me to build character, self-esteem; it has given me exposure to different people from various backgrounds. I have strengthen my skill in art and reading literacy because after being exposed to different children with different reading abilities, I have begun to pay more attention of how I process my own structure of reading and writing skills. I’ve learned to have better work ethics, and most of all, I feel that I have contributed to meeting the needs of my community.