Statement of purpose

Statement of purpose

AI may threaten to privacy of people and the environment since digital communication, including mobile communication network, is continuously boosting and has become inseparable part of routine. Therefore, before it is too late to take control over it, deployment of sustainable-development friendly AI is of importance. My future aspirations and goals include researching and lecturing at a renowned university that is focused on both education and research safe AI to assist next generation network and I feel that a two-year Master’s Degree program in Machine Learning and further research at your university is perfect for my ambitions, because it allows for a flexible approach to study and will aid my growth as a professional which will in turn be of benefit to the school.

As a student I mainly studied data communication and grew professionally in this field. When I entered Huawei entity as a network engineer, I could absorb information in short period of time and then this knowledge assisted me to independently build telecommunication networks within several regions in my country. But, I noticed that there were technical and environmental issues which we could not manage completely. One of our customer, for example, faced server overload which resulted in service interruption for several hours. Furthermore, there a lot of servers producing significant amount of carbon footprints due to overuse of resources. With an assistance of AI technology, we can control technology as never before by predicting network overload, optimizing resource usage and making it eco-friendlier.

Whether next generation networks with AI technology will be exploited only for the benefit of human-being? This question put me doubt as AI is able to process big data, and this information can work against us if do not take an action. Security in 5G network is important as a service it provides. Being an outstanding engineer at Huawei, I was awarded for passing 5G exams with higher score and therefore, I had a chance to participate in the project to build pre-5G network with Taishan servers. While 5G and later generations may process big data, user sensitive data must be highly secured, especially when it comes to healthcare and politics. There is needed technology which not only supports high bandwidth network but also protects personal data of citizens, and therefore, I believe that the answer to my question would be “yes”.

Since I am master’s student I will carry out research on empowering Telecom industry with AI technology which transforms the way human-being communicate and then becomes totally safe for exploitation. If I am given an opportunity, I will work with well-known institutions (for example, Future of Life Institute) who research safe AI. As one says in the future there will be a race between the growing power of technology and the wisdom with which we manage it. Therefore, I believe that the best way is not to impede the former, but to accelerate the latter, by supporting AI safety research.

Right after graduation, I will pursue my Ph.D. degree with the theme “safe distributed AI for 6G mobile network”. Because in distributed AI the models are distributed into multi-agents that are cooperatively sharing knowledge to solve or act either separately or to build a global knowledge for the whole system. At the same time, I will research safety of this technology by focusing on adversial machine learning and security challenges in training and inference. Therefore, I believe this work will have a far-reaching impact on developing safe next-generation digital infrastructure for smarter societies.