Butter has now been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. Only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many se

Butter has now been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. Only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many servers have reported that a number of customers who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead. Clearly, either these customers cannot distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine. Thus, to avoid the expense of purchasing butter and to increase profitability, the Happy Pancake House should extend this cost-saving change to its restaurants in the southeast and northeast as well.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The suggestion that the Happy pancake House should switch to margarine instead of butter is based on many unproven assumptions. If the assumptions are wrong then switching to margarine could be a bad idea for the company. Therefore, these assumptions would have to be proven correct before any rational decision regarding switching to margarine should be made.

First of all, the statement that 98 percent of customers are happy with the change based on the fact that only 2% of customers have complained is based on a very large assumption. This assumption is that the lack of complaining...

It is on top list:
http://www.testbig.com/essay-categories/gmatgre