1 Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people Recently however archae

1. Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

The author of this argument claims that Palean baskets were not uniquely in Palea for the reasons that Palean baskets also found in Lithos as well as there was no Palean boats have been found. Although this argument seems plausible, a close scrutiny reveals its logical untenability.

At the first place, the absence of boats in the Palea vestige does not mean Palean did not have boats previously. Perhaps the boats, which are usually made by woods, have been rotten after being placed for a long time. Or perhaps the boats were transported to another place. The researchers need more evidence ...

One more thing: maybe The Brim River is not very deep and broad at that time.