Collectors prize the ancient life-size clay statues of human figures made on Kali Island but have long wondered how Kalinese artists were able to depict bodies with such realistic precision. Since archaeologists have recently discovered molds of human hea

Collectors prize the ancient life-size clay statues of human figures made on Kali Island but have long wondered how Kalinese artists were able to depict bodies with such realistic precision. Since archaeologists have recently discovered molds of human heads and hands on Kali, we can now conclude that the ancient Kalinese artists used molds of actual bodies, not sculpting tools and techniques, to create these statues. This discovery explains why Kalinese miniature statues were abstract and entirely different in style: molds could be used only for life-size sculptures. It also explains why few ancient Kalinese sculpting tools have been found. In light of this discovery, collectors predict that the life-size sculptures will decrease in value while the miniatures increase in value.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

The argument above is well-presented and appears to be relatively sound at first glance. Since molds of human heads and hands were founded in archeological sites, the assertion that life-size clay statues of human figures were made also made by molds seems cogent. However, as more light is shed on the issue and more detailed facts are concerned, the lack of answers leads me to question the validity of the argument.

First of all, the author should answer the question whether the recent finding of molds of human hands and heads indicates that molds were used to create these life-size sculptures. Since archaeologists have recently discovered these molds, the author rashly believes that the entire sculptures were created by these molds. The author should consider the possibility that molds and sculptures were created in a different time period. In other words, it is likely that sculptures were made much earlier than those molds founded in the archeological sites. If this would be the case, the author’s argument that molds were used for life-size sculptures can be weakened.

Another question the author should answer is whether the few numbers of sculpturing tools reveals that kalinese did not use these tools to create life-size sculptures. Since only a handful of sculpturing tools were discovered by archeologists, the author concludes that the molds were used to make large size sculptures. However, it is plausible that these tools were destroyed due to adverse weather conditions such as floods. In such a case, it is natural to not find these sculpturing tools in the archeological sites. Even if there were no severe weather conditions in the past, it is likely that the tools were simply not discovered yet, so it would not persuasive to assert that the tools were not used in creation of sculptures.

Lastly, more answers are needed whether the conclusion that value of Kalinese sculptures will change can be taken at face value. With the evidence of new discovery, the author claims that the value of life-size sculptures will diminish while the value of miniatures will increase in the future. However, the author should consider that there is no direct relationship between the recent discovery and the value of these sculptures. In all likelihood, although life-size sculptures made through molds, it is possible that it will still appreciated as high-valued arts due to its realistic precision. Also, the people’s interest on miniatures may constant, since it does not contain realistic features. Thus, more evidence is needed to strengthen the argument.

In conclusion, the argument is not persuasive in many respects. To bolster the argument, the author should answer all the aforementioned questions.

Sentence: Lastly, more answers are needed whether the conclusion that value of Kalinese sculptures will change can be taken at face value.
Description: A verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive is not usually followed by a modal auxillary
Suggestion: Refer to change and can

Sentence: Also, the people's interest on miniatures may constant, since it does not contain realistic features.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by an adjective
Suggestion: Refer to may and constant

----------------

argument 2 -- not OK.

suggested: If this claim is right, then the miniature statues are also molds, and are not made by sculpting tools, casting doubt on his prediction that miniature ones' value will go up.

----------------