Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall stu

Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall student grade averages at Omega have risen by 30 percent. Potential employers, looking at this dramatic rise in grades, believe that grades at Omega are inflated and do not accurately reflect student achievement; as a result, Omega graduates have not been as successful at getting jobs as have graduates from nearby Alpha University. To enable its graduates to secure better jobs, Omega University should terminate student evaluation of professors.
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument

One evidence needed in order to evaluate the author’s argument is the evidence that Alpha university is producing the kind of students needed to feed the jobs provided by the employers. The author asserts that Omega graduates have not been successful in getting jobs. The author fails to assume that there are other possible reasons why the students from Omega are not getting jobs. There is a possibility that the kind of programs run by Omega are entirely different from what employers need to feed their jobs. If this is true, then the author cannot say specifically that the dramatic rise in grades are the reason why students from Omega are not getting jobs. If for instance, Omega is a purely arts school and the kind of jobs available are purely engineering, then there is a high chance that these students from Omega who are into Humanities will find it hard to get jobs.

Another evidence needed in order to evaluate the author’s argument is the evidence of changes in the style of teaching. The author asserts that fifteen years ago, Omega implemented a new procedure to evaluate teachers and as a result some teachers give favors to students in order to earn good evaluation. Whiles this is likely to be true, the author fails to assume other possible reasons. There is a possibility that the style of teaching used fifteen years have been enhanced such that students have a different understanding of what is being taught and as a results the students at Omega have been doing exceeding well. This can be the reason why the grade averages have risen by 30 percent. The author’s argument would be weakened if there is evidence of changes in the style of teaching in Omega.

Lastly, another evidence needed to evaluate the author’s argument is the evidence of a change in the student population and the quality of students. The author states that the overall student grade averages at Omega have risen by 30 percent. The author fails to assume that the grade averages also depend on the number of students and the quality of students. There is a possibility that the student population has decreased since the last fifteen years and the quality of students have increased. In this case there is likelihood the grade averages at Omega have risen as a result of quality students and decrease in the student population.

argument 3 -- not OK. Need to argue against the conclusion: 'To enable its graduates to secure better jobs, Omega University should terminate student evaluation of professors'.
--------------------

----------------------