The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner."Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central

The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner.

"Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Plaza store owners believe that the decrease in their business is due to the number of skateboard users in the plaza. There has also been a dramatic increase in the amount of litter and vandalism throughout the plaza. Thus, we recommend that the city prohibit skateboarding in Central Plaza. If skateboarding is prohibited here, we predict that business in Central Plaza will return to its previously high levels."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author's recommendation to prohibit skateboarding in Central Plaza is an interesting argument but would definitely require more information and thought.While the correlation stated may be logical and probable ,there may be many hidden factors responsible for decrease in the number of shoppers in the central plaza.

For example the reason behind decrease in the number of shoppers may be the decrease in quality of products sold by the shops in central plaza.It may be possible that the shoppers are not satisfied with the quality or versatility of the products now available in central plaza.It may be also possible that there are other shops in city which provide better products than that available at central plaza.Indeed the author's argument hardly provides enough information to discern to actual reason for the decrease in number of shoppers in central plaza.

Another reason that can be considered is that may be shoppers use to shop in a particular shop in central plaza which is now closed and so shoppers no longer visit central plaza.Moreover the store owners accusing the skateboard users to be responsible for decrease in number of customers may be actually the one's whose shops hardly used to attract any customers anyway.Correlating increase in number of skateboard users with decrease in number of shoppers no where provides a cogent argument.

Moreover the increase in the amount of litter may be because the cleaning staff are not doing their job properly.For eg the cleaning staff may not be regularly cleaning the plaza and that is the reason for increase in the amount of litter and it has nothing to do with the skateboard users.Increase in amount of vandalism may be due to lack of security in the plaza.The author naively assumes that the skateboard users may be responsible for increase in amount of litter and vandalism.

Examining all the angles and factors that may be responsible for decrease in numbers of shoppers and increase in amount of litter and vandalism,the argument does not justifies that by prohibiting the skateboard users the business at central plaza will return to its previously high levels.While the author does highlight a possibility,more information is required to warrant any action.

responsible for decrease in the number of shoppers
responsible for the decrease in the number of shoppers

the reason behind decrease in the number of shoppers
the reason behind the decrease in the number of shoppers

Need to analyze the structure of the statement and argue accordingly:
condition 1:
Many Central Plaza store owners believe that the decrease in their business is due to the number of skateboard users in the plaza.

condition 2:
There has also been a dramatic increase in the amount of litter and vandalism throughout the plaza.

conclusion:
Thus, we recommend that the city prohibit skateboarding in Central Plaza. If skateboarding is prohibited here, we predict that business in Central Plaza will return to its previously high levels.

You argument 1 and argument 2 are talking about the same thing for the condition 1.

The argument 3 should argue against the conclusion.