The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper in Masontown: " If we want to save money on municipal garbage disposal fees, we need to encourage our residents to recycle more. Last year, our neighboring town, Hayesworth, passed a la

The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper in Masontown:

" If we want to save money on municipal garbage disposal fees, we need to encourage our residents to recycle more. Last year, our neighboring town, Hayesworth, passed a law requiring that all households recycle paper and glass, or pay a fine. Since that time, Hayesworth has seen its garbage disposal costs significantly decreased. If we implemented an advertising campaign encouraging our residents to recycle, Masontown would also save money on disposal of its waste."

From the local newspaper article we can find a suggestion on how to save on municipal garbage disposal fees - the suggestion is to induce local residence with the desire to recycle more. The author gives example from next door town of Hayesworth, which implemented similar law and seen its garbage disposal costs falling down. The author's argument could render true and seem to be cogent, however, several questions need to be answered before readers believe author's suggestion. As the author suggests implementing an advertising campaign to encourage residents to recycle, one need to know how perceptive residents would be to such an advertisement. Are their facilities in the city to process this recycling of paper and glass properly. And, the third question would be how much the author thinks savings would comprise.

First, the author compares two cities and underlines that the result will be the same, but one cannot be sure before in-depth analysis is conducted as people's reactions to such an advertisement campaign could be different. The author need to present results of the survey showing that residents of Masontown are benevolent to the recycling campaign. Another helpful study that could show comparison between overall educational levels of two cities could be also helpful as people tend to be more perceptive to cleanliness and purity with increasing educational status. In case, Mason city’s main population is uneducated and comprised out of blue-collar employees as opposed to Hayesworth's white-collar population it would be hard to explain to Masontown's residents that recycling is important.

Second important factor is readiness of the city to such a campaign as recycling facilities also require investments on the side of the government. The author needs to answer are there any proper facilities to process paper and glass? Does Masontown have installed bins in public places for separating different kinds of garbage. As in case, this is not in place, even if residence successfully recycle, their efforts would be wasted as no facilities are ready to process separated garbage.

The third important question to ask is what the intended savings and does it worth the effort as preparation of advertisement campaign and recycling garbage facilities could rise up to a hefty sum of money. The author need to do due diligence and provide readers with concrete numbers to fortify his claim, as without proper research before implementation saving could turn to loses.

As a result, the argument as it stands at the moment is not bolstered by hard evidences and serves merely as a suggestion. The author needs to give evidences to show that residence will react positively to garbage recycling campaign, that the city is ready to implement recycling facilities and that cost versus benefits are real and making sense.

The author need to do due diligence and provide readers
The author needs to do due diligence and provides readers

argument 2 -- not OK. Don't refer to new questions: The author needs to answer are there any proper facilities to process paper and glass?

Suggested argument: How is the percentage of glass and paper waste in the total garbage? maybe a little