The following is a letter to the head of the tourism bureau on the island of Tria."Erosion of beach sand along the shores of Tria Island is a serious threat to our island and our tourist industry. In order to stop the erosion, we should charge people for

The following is a letter to the head of the tourism bureau on the island of Tria.

"Erosion of beach sand along the shores of Tria Island is a serious threat to our island and our tourist industry. In order to stop the erosion, we should charge people for using the beaches. Although this solution may annoy a few tourists in the short term, it will raise money for replenishing the sand. Replenishing the sand, as was done to protect buildings on the nearby island of Batia, will help protect buildings along our shores, thereby reducing these buildings' risk of additional damage from severe storms. And since beaches and buildings in the area will be preserved, Tria's tourist industry will improve over the long term."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

In order to protect Tria's beaches and buildings which are located along shores, the Tria's government should charge money for using the beaches, and these money spend on replenishing the sand. The writer concludes that this policy will improve the island's tourist industry in the long run. This conclusion is buttressed by evidence which should be carefully studied in order to give a comprehensive estimation of the soundness of the argument.

First of all, the originator of the argument avers that charging money from tourists for using island's beaches will not disappoint the visitors and allow committee to collect enough money to fulfill the policy. However, this statement is not supported properly. In fact, tourists may be discouraged by this idea or may consider that this additional expenditure is too burdensome and thus they may abstain from the journey to the island. Moreover, the collected money may not be enough to implement the policy in particular if the touristic flow will decrease. In other words, the policy may be harmful and ineffective.

The second evidence which is given to us is that replenishing the sand will help to tackle erosion of island beach. The main evidence is that this action works well on the island of Baria. However, are these islands similar to each other? Is the cause of the beach's erosion same? Perhaps the Baria's situation may be tackled by the replenishing the sand. However, the likeliness exists that the implementation of the policy will not solve the problem if it does not address the root of the problem. Replenished sand may be taken away by water or undergo erosion again. Consequently, the blind author's belief does not supported properly and thus may not lead to the expected result.

Additionally to it, the argument claims that the proposed policy will improve island's tourist industry due to the possibility that it will preserve Tria's buildings and beaches. However, why do we think that tourists visit the island solely because of its beaches and buildings. Perhaps the island is well-know for its wild nature and rare or endangered species. Consequently, even positive fulfillment of the policy will not attract new visitors. Moreover, as we said above the charging money from tourists may discourage many of them to visit the island and thus the policy, probably, will worsen the current situation.

In conclusion, the writer states that fulfillment of the policy will allow government to collect enough money to repeat neighboring policy and it will improve the island's tourist industry. However, the given evidence has failed to buttress this conclusion. In fact, the policy may discourage visitors, thus enough money may not be levied. Even if the policy fulfills, it may not solve the problem and thus the author's conclusion is unwarranted.

----------------

argument 3 -- not OK
----------------
The argument goes here:

'Erosion of beach sand along the shores of Tria Island is a serious threat to our island and our tourist industry. In order to stop the erosion, we should charge people for using the beaches.'

read a sample:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-argument-task-essays/following-letter-he…

----------------