Essay topics: The following is part of a memorandum from the president of Humana University.
"Last year the number of students who enrolled in online degree programs offered by nearby Omni University increased by 50 percent. During the same year, Omni showed a significant decrease from prior years in expenditures for dormitory and classroom space, most likely because online instruction takes place via the Internet. In contrast, over the past three years, enrollment at Humana University has failed to grow and the cost of maintaining buildings has increased. Thus, to increase enrollment and solve the problem of budget deficits at Humana University, we should initiate and actively promote online degree programs like those at Omni."
The president of the Humana University has purposed that for dealing with the financial issue and decreased enrollment, the university should provide the online education service as the Omni University. This plan is flawed since the author draws a conclusion based on a vague and irrelevant assumption.
First, the author makes a mistake while provides an unfounded link between the increase of online courses and decrease of dorm and class used in the Omni University. There is no cogent and reliable clue to back this relationship. For instance, the increment of the online class can be for the sake of increase of the number of students, who wish the get the academic education in the university, in this case, the number student enrollment will be boosted in the ordinary class too. Furthermore, the decrease in the expenditures of dorms and class does not prove that the number of enrollments has been declined. There is the possibility that the dormitory does not provide the required service and rarely satisfies the students; thus, students are eager to live off campus instead of dorms. Or about the class space usage, there is feasibility that capacity of courses has been altered; as an example, meanwhile, in the past, a course was held in five classes with 20 student capacity; now it is two classes with 50 capacity. So, then there is no variation in students’ enrollment, but the number using classes are reduced.
Secondly, even if there is decrement of enrollment in the classes, the proposal is flawed when it relates this incidence to the increase of online courses. Indeed, there is no concrete evidence and data to represent that these online classes cause this event. Maybe the syllabus of courses provided in the ordinary classes is not interesting and updated; consequently, students refute to take and participate in these classes. On the other hand, the program provided in the online courses is completely matched with the current trend of occupation. As a result, students prefer to take an online course. So, as long as the president does not provide justice and sufficient data about the similarity of two programs provided in both classes, linking these two events is a faint task.
Finally, in a case that all above-discussed rejected surmises were valid, the hypothesis that online courses in the Humana University will aid it to solve its economic crisis is also shaky and ungrounded. In fact, the prompt does not mention to any financial profits that the Omni University gets from the online classes, besides, there is no information about whether this profit fulfill the university's demand or not. As a result, there is no rearing data to warrantee that the Humana University will profit effectively through the online classes to cover its entire costs. Even the Omni University does cover its expenses from this way, there are no guarantees either that Humana University would do the same since there are two districted universities about which there are no clues of similarity.
To wrap it up, all the aforementioned reasons and rejected assumptions explicitly depict that the president does mistake to compare two universities and believe that the Humana University can handle its current problems if it acts same as the Omni University. The proposal is verified in a case that whole discussed issues are addressed reasonably.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 days 26 min ago||ni7san||66||Read full essay|
|1 week 1 day ago||sudesh tiwari||48||Read full essay|
|1 week 2 days ago||Zhangdai||48||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 3 days ago||DAPO||68||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 day ago||Alatise87||68||Read full essay|
|1 month 4 days ago||Dipu2012||33||Read full essay|
|2 months 1 day ago||heijihys||68||Read full essay|
|2 months 6 days ago||jms96ZZ||58||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||mehrab11||69||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 weeks ago||kkkk_kkkk||60||Read full essay|
- 17.The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population th (58)
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region expe (54)
- 1.The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the stateme (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of h (58)
- . Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a (66)
- 14.The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our (60)
- 1.In order for any work of art — for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song — to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain y (58)
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (44)
- 1.The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for (66)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because t (43)