An international development organization, in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus, has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A. While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, farmers will be p

Kavish's picture

The author of the argument states that in response to the Vitamin A deficiency in the people of Tagus, and with the upcoming of an international organization with a new variety of millet able to curb the deficiency, the government must promote this new type of millet. However, this argument is based on several assumptions and is thus flawed.

First of all, the author states that the international organization came up with new variety of millet which has potential to curb the vitamin A deficiency. But it is unclear what are the plans of the organization. Does to organization aims to sell it's millet in other countries? If that is so, then the citizens of Tagus will not be benefited from the cultivation of the new type of millet. It is important to know what is the target market for the company, in order to support the author’s recommendation.

Also, the author has broadly stated that there is deficiency of Vitamin A in the citizens of Tagus, but there is no confirmation of the fact in the argument. What are the tests carried out for detection of the deficiency? What percentage of the total population are affected? Which age group of the total population is suffering with the deficiency? Is the deficiency severe? Unless these questions are answered, it is difficult to back the author’s suggestion.

Also, it is unclear why the author has considered new variety of millet as the only possible cure. Are there any other methods to curb the problem of Vitamin deficiency? In most cases, Vitamin deficiency can be cured by taking vitamin supplements. Apart from that, other natural ways such as increasing the intake of vitamin A rich food can prove to be helpful. Have people tried those traditional methods? If yes, then were those methods of no use? It would be wise for the other to consider all those factors.

Moreover, the author that farming of the millet is costly and thus the seeds are subsidized and that the government of Tagus must support the cultivation of the new type of millet. But, the author doesn’t provide plans of the organization. Is the cultivation going to take place in Tagus? The government of Tagus cannot support the cultivation for another country. The author’s claim must provide the definite plans of the organization and how the citizens of Tagus will be benefited from the plan.

In general, it can be said that the author’s has failed to make a convincing argument. The writer’s argument ends with an entirely unjustified optimistic recommendation.

Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)