Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and

Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to our news programs and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should expand our coverage of weather and local news on all our news programs.

The author of argument recommends that to attract the new viewers and avoid the financial support losses; the TV program should give priority to the weather and local news. This is a recommendation which rests on the series of the surmises all of which can be challenged in one way or another.

The first problem with the proposal is that the writer mentions to the most amounts of the complaints received after the change and major focus on the national news. However, there is no clue about the quantity of the claim before the alteration. Maybe before the national news coverage in the late-night news program there was 100 complain about the programs, and by the change, this number declines to the 50. As a result, even 50 out of 50 these complaints are about the concern of weather and local news coverage by the program; all in all, the quantity of the complaint has been cut, and audiences are more satisfied with this change. The argument would have been fortified if the author had explicitly stated the statistic of complaints before and after the last year change.

Next, the author assumes a shaky hypothesis about the loss of the advertisement contract by this change. As mentioned above, the writer presumes that the focus on the national news leads losing local business commercials. However, this declaration is doubtful since there is no visible data to illustrate this link. For instance, it is possible that the expense of the advertisement during the late-night news program gets higher than the previous years, and the local business is not the able to be responsible for this cost. Or perhaps, the companies reach to the target market, and there is no requirement for the further advertisements. Therefore, they cease their contracts with the television. Each of scenarios would illustrate a feasible reason for this lost apart from this variation in the news program.

Finally, even whole mentioned failures about the argument are inaccurate, the assumption which the more coverage of weather and local news can attract new viewers is fallacy one. The goal of appealing and attracting the novel audiences can be actual in a case that there are well-organized survey and study to evaluate the real taste of the citizens. As long as there is no convincing research in this area this hypothesis is a vague one. Maybe the majority of people are eager to watch the scientific then national news and finally the local news program during the late-night. Thereby by the focusing on the local news, they could miss the ongoing audience too. If the article had presented the big portion of dwellers' appetites are compelling with the weather and local news programs, the argument would have been strengthened.

All in all, the argument is a flaw. Based on the reasons mentioned above, the argument is unpersuasive. It could have been valid if the author had presented data about the people complaints before the change, the business needs for advertising; moreover, this weather and local news program will be attractive to the new audience too. Otherwise, it opens to the debates

argument 1 -- OK, it is not only related to the amounts, but also related to the content of those complaints.

argument 3 -- not OK. Need to argue against the conclusion always. For this topic it is:

'Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to our news programs and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should expand our coverage of weather and local news on all our news programs. '
--------------------