Essay topics: "A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertising firms studied, those whose executives reported needing no more than 6 hours of sleep per night had higher profit margins and faster growth. These results suggest that if a business wants to prosper, it should hire only people who need less than 6 hours of sleep per night."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
In the statement, the author suggests that businesses should only hire people who sleep less than six hours per night in order to have prosperous future. To bolster this, the author cites the result of a study conducted on mentian advertising executives showing an inverse relationship between the sleeping time and success of the firm. however, the argument is tenuous in several aspects.
The survey mentioned in the argument includes 300 male and female executives from mentian advertising companies. however, there is a hidden assumption that those executives are representative for the general population. it is possible that executives are likely to bear more works and be responsible for projects that associated with higher profit, thus their devotion of sleeping time can lead to an effective a growth for the business. Nevertheless, this is usually not the case for general employees. it is possible that when employees are being deprive of sleep, they likely to work less efficiently and the whole working environment will be enervated, which will bring a negative effect on a business’s prosperity.
The author suggests that there is a relationship between the amount of the sleep needed and how successful a business can be. Nonetheless, the result of the survey that included only 300 executives from one specific company could be a mere coincidence; there is no credential amount of evidence to justify a relationship between the two. it is possible that the survey coincidentally asked the ones who have the habit of sleep less than 6 hours per day. it is also possible that the survey has been done during the time where the economic condition is good, thus businesses are gaining higher profit.
The author is being over-positive and unfairly ignores the differences and similarities between mentian advertising companies and other types of companies. even though less sleep might not hurt or even improve the employees’ working efficiency in mentian, it is unreasonable to generalize this situation to all other firms. For example, for a construction company, if they only hire workers who sleep less than 6 hours a day, it is highly possible that the injuries during the job will increase. it is also possible there are other factors that contribute to the growth of mentian company, such as online advertising becomes so prevailing those days that leads to its rapid growth.
In sum, the author’s argument is logically flawed and the evidence used is also groundless. To strengthen it, the author should consider whether it is reasonable to make analogy between mentian advertising company and other businesses and a deep and comprehensive survey should be made before suggesting a relationship between sleep time and success of a firm.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|5 days 12 hours ago||sapana||60||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 2 days ago||jha||70||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 days ago||stevewang1007||68||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 days ago||lan122333||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 1 week ago||ken10091995||68||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||sandeshbhandari2||60||Read full essay|
|2 months 1 day ago||sayali7||68||Read full essay|
|2 months 4 days ago||ghazalsaed1995||58||Read full essay|
|2 months 2 weeks ago||Captain||66.5||Read full essay|
|2 months 4 weeks ago||bishal sitaula||50||Read full essay|
- In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement (66)
- The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company."Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity (44)
- Governments should offer college and university education free of charge to all students.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In devel (75)
- The following appeared in a memo to the board of the Grandview Symphony."The city of Grandview has provided annual funding for the Grandview Symphony since the symphony's inception-pocetak ten years ago. Last year the symphony hired an internati (59)
- Some people believe it is often necessary, even desirable, for political leaders to withhold information from the public. Others believe that the public has a right to be fully informed.Write a response in which you discuss which view more closely aligns (75)
- College students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to (54)
- "A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the adver (68)
- People's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and suppo (50)
- "Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of (58)
- The following appeared in a health magazine published in Corpora."Medical experts say that only one-quarter of Corpora's citizens meet the current standards for adequate physical fitness, even though twenty years ago, one-half of all of Corpora& (68)