In surveys Mason City residents rank water sports (swimming, boating, and fishing) among their favorite recreational activities. The Mason River flowing through the city is rarely used for these pursuits, however, and the city park department devotes litt

In surveys Mason City residents rank water sports (swimming, boating, and fishing) among their favorite recreational activities. The Mason River flowing through the city is rarely used for these pursuits, however, and the city park department devotes little of its budget to maintaining riverside recreational facilities. For years there have been complaints from residents about the quality of the river's water and the river's smell. In response, the state has recently announced plans to clean up Mason River. Use of the river for water sports is, therefore, sure to increase. The city government should for that reason devote more money in this year's budget to riverside recreational facilities.

The author has stated that the city government should devote more money in this year's budget to riverside recreational facilities because he believes that state’s announcement to clean the river will attract many residents of Mason City.However, he does not give sufficient evidence to substantiate the same.

Firstly, it is clearly mentioned that for, years there have been complaints from residents about the quality of the river's water and the river's smell.Hence this shows that the people who actually loved recreational sports would have found alternatives apart from Mason River over the stint.There is a possibility that they might have found the alternatives much more dependable in terms of hygiene and cleanliness. It should also be noted that the results of surveys have been presented vaguely ,without the precision of figures or the time in which they were conducted.Hence it is probable that very few residents among-st so many will actually rate water sports as their favorite recreational activity that too not on the first position of their like able recreational activities.

Secondly, there is no evidence or data given to prove that money on such activities has not been spent before.It is a possibility that the city park has devoted a portion of budget for the provision of recreational facilities in the Mason River,but it did not get satisfactory or expected results.Consequently, it retracted from devoting a larger amount for the same,instead just devotes little for basic maintenance.

Thirdly, the repetitive complaints of the residents shows that the problem of dirt and smell in the river is not a recent one.It can possibly re-surge after a short while despite the cleanliness drive initiative by the state, thus whiling away all the resources that went into it’s cleanliness.There is no reason stated , to believe that such initiatives have not been taken before or the results have always been optimistic.Probably, the bed rock of the soil under the river is the root cause of the problem that cannot be handled easily.

Lastly, the author should have highlighted that different kinds of water sports have different requirement of quality,quantity, temperature and maintenance of water.All of the three activities are not possible on the same quality of river water simultaneously.Thus, this will limit the use of the river water hence, not extracting the complete value of funds invested in it for the provision of multitude of recreational water activities.

Since all these factors have not been taken into account ,thus the city government should reconsider it’s decision.

argument 1 -- not OK

argument 2 -- not OK

argument 3 -- not OK

argument 4 -- not OK
--------------------
In GRE, we have to accept all data or evidence are true. It is important to find out loopholes behind surveys or studies. Loopholes mean that we accept all surveys told are true, but there are some conditions applied, for example:

It works for time A (10 years ago), but it doesn't mean it works for time B (nowadays).

It works for location A (a city, community, nation), but it doesn't mean it works for location B (another city, community, nation).

It works for people A (a manager), but it doesn't mean it works for people B (a worker).

It works for event A (one event, project... ), but it doesn't mean it works for event B (another event, project...).
----------------------------

read a sample:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-argument-task-essays/surveys-mason-city-…